dhcpd.leases Contains Lots of Very Old Leases

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 21:54:39 UTC 2009

Eric Kenny wrote:

>We are running dhcpd version 4.1.0a1 and have recently discovered a
>problem with our lease file.  There appears to be quite a number of leases
>that expired more than 8 months ago that are still in there.  According to
>the dhcpd.leases man page "From time to time, dhcpd removes obsolete
>information to prevent the file from becoming too large."  It seems like
>this may not be happening.

Are these leases that have been superceded by later entries for the
same address, or just leases that are old and expired ?

If it's the former then something is wrong. If it's the latter, then
it's normal as all old leases are kept - in their most recent
version. Ie, when a client renews, then a new lease record is
appended - and when the cleanup occurs, the old record will be purged
so that only the most recent is left.

How big are your pool declarations ? It sounds like they are large.

--
Simon Hobson