dhcpd.leases Contains Lots of Very Old Leases

Eric Kenny Eric.Kenny at marist.edu
Thu Feb 5 20:58:10 UTC 2009

Hello,

We are running dhcpd version 4.1.0a1 and have recently discovered a
problem with our lease file.  There appears to be quite a number of leases
that expired more than 8 months ago that are still in there.  According to
the dhcpd.leases man page "From time to time, dhcpd removes obsolete
information to prevent the file from becoming too large."  It seems like
this may not be happening.

I found the lease file problem because we were having an issue where dhcp
requests would time out on the client.  When we removed about 12,000
obsolete leases, the timeouts seemed to be occurring less often.  Now the
lease file has about 24,000+ leases, some of which are still active.  I
know I can comment out a subnet in dhcpd.conf, kill the server, and start
it again to clear out all the leases in that subnet.  However, I would
think that dhcpd is supposed to do all of this automatically.

Are we running into a bug?  Any information is appreciated.

Eric J. Kenny
Network Analyst
Marist College
3399 North Rd.