dhclient.conf 'send host-name' with args

VR iscdhcp at iotk.net
Tue Feb 3 19:49:24 UTC 2009

David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 09:00:11AM -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> dhclient -H `cat /etc/hostname`
>
> That reminds me, we need to do something about that.
>
> How many people would actually revolt if we just started sending
> the system hostname by default if no config was specified?  My main
> concern was privacy, but the more people I talk to, the less people I
> meet who actually are concerned about people knowing their hostname.

Personally, it would have saved me time. I started searching on and off
back in October on how to fully enable the send hostname feature. I
found quite a lot of hits from people trying to figure out how to get
DNS updating with their hostname. It wasn't until yesterday that I got
it going.

The elusive magic for me getting my Linux clients to update Windows DNS
was "send fqdn.server-update on;". which wasn't part of the example on
my system after my vanilla install.