The DHCP client can not detect the address provided by the server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 15:02:45 UTC 2008

DÔ Phan-Cam-Thach wrote:

>Second question: it is easy to find out that i
>had a mistake while typing this command. It
>wasnt the one i have tried ^_^. Of course it is:
>
>  sudo dhcpd -cf dhcpd.conf -lf dhcpd.leases eth1 start

It should tell you by spitting out an error message instead of starting.

>Third question: is there any conflict between
>our dhclient and the dhclient integrated in
>Ubuntu by defaut (my OS is Ubuntu and i know
>when we install Ubuntu, there is also dhcp
>integrated in it by defaut)?

I think it's the same one. Ubuntu is derived from
Debian, and Debian uses the ISC client.

If you install another client, then it's possible
you could have two clients fighting over the
interface. You can install the distribution
provided version with the command "apt-get
install dhcp-client" - this will install the
client together with scripts integrated with the
rest of the system.

Debian, and I assume Ubuntu, puts the server and
client scripts in /etc/dhcpd3/ and it's
sufficient to define the interface in
/etc/network/interfaces like this :

auto ethext
iface eth1 inet dhcp

The system will then automatically bring up the
interface and invoke the dhcp client to configure
it. You can configure the client via
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf.