Measuring DHCP interactions (per minute)

Frank Bulk - iNAME frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Jun 2 04:16:49 UTC 2008

Unlike some other requests I've seen, I'm not looking to graph the size or
usage levels of pools/ranges.  Instead, I'm looking to graph how many
DHPCDISCOVERs per minute, DHCPREQUESTs per minute, DHCPNAKs per minute,
there are.  I'm looking to see when and what DHCP traffic is like over the
day, for example, to be able to quickly identify when power is restored in a
distant town such that the broadband CPE is now powering on.

Perhaps someone has already written a tool that analyzes the syslog over a
certain time range (e.g. 5 minutes) and pumps out the results in a format
usable by cacti or mrtg.  Ideally, that person would have the templates
available, too. =)

Regards,

Frank