Subnet vs group scope question

Klaas, James jklaas at umich.edu
Mon Jul 28 14:11:28 UTC 2008

We're currently running DHCP v3.0.1-pl14 and our config files are
generated using some automated scripts pulling from a database.

Right now, we define most general options through subnet declarations
and tweak some within group scopes.  This has worked great for the most
part, but now I've hit a snag where I am defining a lease length twice
for a group of hosts:

subnet 10.164.0.0 netmask 255.255.252.0 {
  default-lease-time 3600;
  max-lease-time 7200;
}

group {
  # DHCP options for DHCP group 8
  default-lease-time 2592000 ;
  filename "/pxelinux.0";
  next-server 10.164.3.241;

  # Static hosts in DHCP group 8

}

Reading "The DHCP Handbook", it appears to me that the
"default-lease-time" in the group declaration should supersede the one
in the subnet declaration.  Is this the expected behavior?

James