force to only accept hardware address as dhcp-client-identifier

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Jan 29 18:49:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:50:03AM -0600, John Hascall wrote:
> Unless they have recently changed their minds,
> despite numerous requests, ISC refuses to add such
> an option because it is contrary to the RFC standards
> documents.

it is true that i refuse to apply the patch which has been circulating
that totally removes dhcp client identifier support from the server
with no option or intervention.  i think it would be irresponsible to
distribute this as default behaviour.

it is not true that i am opposed to developing tools to assist
operators of dhcp networks in challenging client-identity environs,
even to the extent of following that up with standards action and
thus changing the server's default behaviour towards certain things.

so, although what is true about me is not necessarily true about ISC,
in that i just work here, i do not think it can reasonably be said
that ISC is whitholding or refusing anything.

for my part, i do what i can when i can.

if you feel our priorities are not set straight, there are easy ways
to do what you can;

	mailto:dhcp-suggest at isc.org?subject=my-client-id-patch
	mailto:sales at isc.org?subject=custom-development
	https://secure.isc.org/index.pl?/store/donation/
	https://secure.isc.org/index.pl?/store/t-shirt/

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/