Hostname for DNS dynamic updates

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Oct 8 16:13:04 UTC 2007

    Is there a way to specify what the FQDN should be (or at least the
hostname) when a client requests to update it's own A record?  Right now
they're coming in with whatever the client has as hostname, which
sometimes can be some random string set when the machine was first built
(think Dell.)  What I'd like is for the A (and PTR) record to use the
hostname I specified in dhcpd.conf.  For example, I have this in my
dhcpd.conf file:

    host patrick { hardware ethernet 11:22:33:44:55:66; }

    And when the PTR and A records get updated, I get this:

    PTR record:
       100                     PTR     D9H3BH71.pcraft.com.

    A Record:
       D9H3BH71                A       192.168.1.100

    I want it to say 'patrick' instead of that 'D9H3BH71' string that
the client sends.