dhcpd performance?

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue May 1 19:50:00 UTC 2007

>     Normally the bottleneck is the time it takes to ping an address to
> ensure it is not already in use. I think the timeout is one second so
> the server can handle an average of one request per second.

>     With reasonable lease times, I have never seen the performance of
> the DHCP server be an issue. If it is, you should probably rethink what
> you are doing.

  I'm actually starting to wonder if we're not seeing some issues
  with this in our larger classroom buildings because of what I'm
  calling the "inrush current effect" at the start of class periods
  -- when several thousand students flop down and power up their laptops.

  I can suggest to the Board of Regents that we should "rethink" this
  whole fixed class schedule fad, but I have a tiny inkling it might
  not fly...

John