Recovering from partner-down

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Jan 29 23:45:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:46:30AM -0500, Aileen Carlstrom wrote:
> are running V3.0.4b3 (the latest and greatest at time of build) and have
>
> My "primary" is now rebuilt and the config tests as startable.  What I
> have read on recovery seems to say I can get into a bad state if I do
> things in the wrong order...but no where can I find the right order!
> What do I need to do to go from one server running in partner-down back
> to a proper partnership?

i think there was a bug...i can't remember if it was 3.0.3 or 3.0.4.

the only problem was if the peer server /wasn't/ in partner-down.

it was an odd bug - if the peer was in comms-interrupted, and the
server reconnected and had to "recover", the comms-interrupted
server would change state into 'partner-down' and the UPDREQALL
would get downgraded to an UPDREQ (the recovering peer would
retransmit and get it wrong).

silly little bug.

but your peer is already in partner-down so it doesn't matter what
version this bug i'm remembering was in.  i don't think you'll have
a problem just starting the new server.