SV: SV: DISCOVER bursts

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Jan 9 19:36:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:44:09PM +0100, Lars Jacobsen wrote:
> For a start I just thought it was strange that the server allocated and
> offered more than 2 IP leases to the client with a lease limit=2 in a pool.

Depending on version that's not a bug either.  A lease that is 'offered'
is not allocated.  We check billing when we offer a lease, but we unbill
before the offer is sent.  This was a bug fixed in 3.0.x maint, I can't
remember which one, but an older version would bill offered leases.

This was a problem: if you bill a lease, set its expiration forward 2
minutes, and put it back on the free list, it will never 'expire' and
be unbilled unless it is allocated by another client at which time the
old billing is noticed (or the daemon is restarted).

When the client REQUEST's a lease, we'll bill, and it would be odd for
the client to have more than 2 in that case.

Really, that's the point at which the resource is allocated.

> Btw. I don’t get Simons post to the list in my mails, but can read them on
> the list ??? Just wundering....

Odd.

Spam filters?