Motorola Settop boxes

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Jan 9 19:08:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 06:47:29PM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Kingston, Ken wrote:
> >Has anybody successfully used the Isc server with a Motorola Settop box.
> >It appears to pick up it's parameters correctly the first time but once
> >it loads it's OS which is Windows CE based it has to do a second dhcp
> >call and this does not successfully retrieve all it's parameters. Any
> >suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Sounds familiar.

If the box identifies itself without a client identiifer to start
with, WinCE will identify itself with a client identifier equal
to the hardware address.

ISC DHCP treats this as two different clients, so the WinCE client
is NAK'd.

Meanwhile, I read that WinCE's DHCP client in this case can't
alter the interface IP settings - so anything other than success
is not an option.

Evidently it works with Microsoft's DHCP server and one other.

Anyway have a look at before-WinCE and after-WinCE and see if
the identity of the client is changing.