mclt Values, was 2 Instances of dhcp on Same Platform

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Feb 27 19:10:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:13:32AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	The question I asked earlier today about being able to
> use the mid-level domain name as a key to assigning hosts to
> groups is about all that is left.

Groups maybe not, but classes, I don't see why it couldn't be
done (with clever use of suffix() and/or substring()). *

If there were a largeish number of mid-level domains, and it
were possible to use a single dhcpd.conf syntax to extract
all the names, I'd also look into subclasses (so the lookup is
done once on the class linear list, and once on the subclass hash
table, rather than n-times on the class linear list).

* - If you're mixing host record contents with class statements,
  there may be 'chicken and egg' problems.  I think class
  statements are matched very early on in a client's lifecycle,
  long before a host record match is given ("least astonishment"
  bug we haven't fixed yet).

ISC Training!  http://www.isc.org/training/  training at isc.org
Washington DC area, April 16-20 2007.  DNS & BIND, DDNS & DHCP.