dhclient -s server -p port

xp wang linux_wxp at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Sep 7 00:38:58 UTC 2006

I am using a windows dhcpserver as DHCP server, and using dhclient in red hat linux 2.4.20 as DHCP client.  If I donot specify the server IP address, the dhclient could fetch an dynamic IP from the server. But after I specified the server IP by -s option,
I met the following situation:

  [root at sbin]# ./dhcpclient eth1 -s   *.*.3.1
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
  Listening on LPF/eth1/00:d0:68:03:dc:6d
Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:d0:68:03:dc:6d
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to *.*.3.1 port 67
send_packet: Network is unreachable
send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast address.
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to *.*.3.1 port 67
send_packet: Network is unreachable
send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast address.
DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to *.*.3.1 port 67
send_packet: Network is unreachable
send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast address.
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to *.*.3.1 port 67 interval 7
  No DHCPOFFERS received.

What should I do to solve this problem?
I can fetch the IP address using the default port,
but after I specified the port number, I met
the following situation:

.[root at wangxp root]# /sbin/dhcpclient eth0 -p 90
binding to user-specified port 90
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
  Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0c:29:47:73:7b
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:0c:29:47:73:7b
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 89
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 89
receive_packet failed on eth0: Network is down
Trying medium "-link0 -link1 -link2" 1
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 89 interval 2
send_packet: Network is down
  No DHCPOFFERS received.
Trying recorded lease 2.2.2.1
ping: invalid option -- w
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
  I have read through the dhclient manual (man dhclient), and some other related materials,
but I cannot grasp how these functions was realized, and I have not too much time to
peruse the source code (sorry).  My question is:
  Does these two functions are supported well if using a dhcpserver under Linux?
Another question, does the dhcpclient support the VLAN sub-interface?
  Wish I could get your response soon. Thank you.