DHCP Time Zone and Daylight Saving time

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Sep 6 16:03:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 05:13:20PM +0200, Peter Albrecht wrote:
> > Do you know how to send the Time Zone and how to configure the DHCP to
> > send the right hour to the host PC??
> >
> > Do you know how to make the change in th DHCP of the time zone between
> > daylight saving time (summer time) and Standard time??

There is a time-offset option, but this option's use is fraught
with danger as the folks who've told me of its use still have
the scars.  I'm not sure which clients have actually implemented
it.

There's a draft before the ietf dhc wg lately that implements two
options that relate this kind of information.

If you control the client and server in your local site, you
might want to consider using the site local space and designing
your own options to carry this information.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DDNS & DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.