multiple IPs to single machine

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 22:39:08 UTC 2006

dhcp-admin at syniverse.com wrote:

>Is there an easy way to cause the dhcp server to not give out a new
>IP to a machine that already has (or had) a lease on the same
>segment - based on MAC addresses?

Short answer is that it won't - unless the client identifier changes.

Longer answer, the client-id is the primary key for the database and
the mac address is only used if the client-id is absent. If the
client-id changes then as far as the server is concerned it is a
different client. This mainly affects machines that boot into several
OSs, normally including Windows - everything but Windows would
typically have no client-id, while Windows would insert the mac
address.

Someone was working on a patch to change the behaviour so that in the
absence of a client-id, the server would insert the mac address (as
per the Windows client) so that multi-booting systems would get the
same address. I don't know if that patch is still valid.