dhcpd and Vista

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 20:18:12 UTC 2006

I've tried to serve an IP to a Vista host using dhcpd, and I really
couldn't. I've been using dhcpd since years ago in many environments,
and it's the first time I cannot get it working.
The client issues Discover, the server Offers, and the client says
nothing until a new Discover, and so on.
I've seen it working with another DHCP. That DHCP server gives some more
fields in the Offer message. Concretely, options 58 and 59
(dhcp-rebinding-time and dhcp-renewal-time) and something about NetBios.
I've tried enabling those options 58 and 59 in dhcpd.conf, and even
though, they are not sent in the Offer packet.

in dhcp-options(5) there's written that "those options are not user
configurable".

Has anybody had success serving a Vista with dhcpd?