host-entries

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Fri Nov 10 16:08:38 UTC 2006

> > I use ISC-DHCP 3.0.3 with failover. Because I have the need to add
> > host-entries very often I use OMshell for this, which is working fine.
> > I thought :-(
> >
> > I discovered that my first DHCP-server is acting as expected: The
> > host-entry is in its db-file and it is offering the IP-adress I
> > defined in the host-entry.
> > But the failover-peer is acting like its know nothing about the
> > host-entry. It doesn't appear in its db-file and its offering another
> > IP-address to the client.
> >
> > Any hints why the first server doesn't talk about the host-entry to
> > the failover-server?
>
> I think you need to use omshell to add the host statement to both
> servers separately.

Hm, good idea. I tried this, but it doesn't seemed to work. If I try to enter a new host on my failoverpartner he reclaim, that this host already exists (which is actually the case, but only on my first DHCP-server).

Looks like the OMshell is checking the first server for existing host-entries.

> I asked about this some time ago. The field is updated once when the
> leases file is created and then never changed. This is ok though as
> nothing ever reads that filed from the lease file entry. While a bit
> disconcerting you can safely not worry about it.

Thank you, this is helpfull.

Tom.