undeclared subnet for eth0

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 17:14:20 UTC 2006

dopazo jonathan wrote:

>When I start the dhcpd this is the error it gives me:
>
>#dhcpd eth0 start

Then Glenn has correctly stated the problem. The statement above
tells dhcpd to run and serve interfaces called "eth0" and "start".
Since you have no interface called "start" then it fails.

You can either start dhcpd with "dhcpd eth0",

or you can edit the startup script or config file used by it (some
systems read a config file where you can set which interfaces to
use). Once you've done that you can use "/etc/init.d/dhcpd start" or
whatever the script is on your OS.

Setting up the init script correctly is the preferred method as it
will allow the service to start correctly at boot time.