XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Mar 17 16:54:20 UTC 2006

-- "David W. Hankins" <David_Hankins at isc.org> is rumored to have mumbled on
17. März 2006 16:36:01 +0000 regarding Re: XP clients sometimes ignore
DHCPOFFERs:
>> Maybe I misunderstand, but I read this differently. The technote doesn't
>> apply to *any* non-Microsoft server, but only to those which are
>> configured  in a certain way:
>
> I remember there was a bulletpoint "the DHCP server is not a Microsoft
> server".

True, but that was only one of the conditions.

>> ISC dhcpd does *not* ignore duplicate DHCPDISCOVER messages. The server
>
> Right, so that particular technote isn't the problem that's being
> described.
>
> Still, it could be a related problem...for example if one of the OFFERS
> is being dropped somewhere.

Well, when I sniffed the session on the client-side I was able to see all
three OFFERs ... so it doesn't seem as though the decisive third OFFER was
lost.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK