XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Mar 17 16:36:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:30:38AM +0100, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> > The technote quoted says it only happens on "non microsoft" DHCP servers.
> >
> > I wonder what MS's server is doing to get its clients out of this loop.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand, but I read this differently. The technote doesn't
> apply to *any* non-Microsoft server, but only to those which are configured
> in a certain way:

I remember there was a bulletpoint "the DHCP server is not a Microsoft
server".

> ISC dhcpd does *not* ignore duplicate DHCPDISCOVER messages. The server

Right, so that particular technote isn't the problem that's being
described.

Still, it could be a related problem...for example if one of the OFFERS
is being dropped somewhere.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."