DHCP ISC docs

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Mar 17 00:32:02 UTC 2006

Hi Dan,

I am running the ISC dhcpd on Solaris 10. It compiled fine for me,
although you may want to set some specific things in the file site.conf
before running ./configure. Here is the contents of my site.conf that I
use for Solaris (7, 8, 9 and 10).

glenn at drill% uname -a
SunOS drill 5.10 Generic_118833-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

glenn at drill% cat site.conf
# Put local site configuration stuff here to override the default
# settings in Makefile.conf
USERBINDIR = /usr/local/bin
BINDIR = /usr/local/sbin
CLIENTBINDIR = /usr/local/sbin
ADMMANDIR = /usr/local/man/man8
FFMANDIR = /usr/local/man/man4
LIBMANDIR = /usr/local/man/man3
USRMANDIR = /usr/local/man/man1
ETC = /usr/local/etc
VARRUN = /var/run
VARDB = /usr/local/etc
LIBDIR = /usr/local/lib
INCDIR = /usr/local/include
CC = gcc -O -D_PATH_DHCPD_PID=\"/var/run/dhcpd.pid\"
-D_PATH_DHCPD_DB=\"/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.leases\"
-D_PATH_DHCPD_CONF=\"/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf\"
#CC = gcc -O -DUSE_SOCKETS
# end of local settings

Note that the Makefile uses the BSD version of install, rather than the System V
one. This requires that you have /usr/ucb/install installed on your system. This
is in the SUNW

If you are still having problems then please post the error messages
from the compile. There may be something else missing from the system
that is causing the problem.

Once dhcpd is installed there are excellent man pages. The ones you
should read are: dhcpd dhcpd.conf dhcp-eval and dhcp-options. The first
two should be enough to get you going though.

regards,
-glenn