XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Mar 16 17:41:30 UTC 2006

The technote quoted says it only happens on "non microsoft" DHCP servers.

I wonder what MS's server is doing to get its clients out of this loop.

This is all-hands week at ISC.  Because of that I'm fairly useless.
IETF is next week.

I won't have a chance to look in our lab for a few weeks at the earliest.

Someone should be able to find out by getting a client into this state (it
sounds like you need to give it a really long lease) and then attach it to
a network where someone enabled "share network" on a regular Windows XP
box.

A pcap of that would save me a lot of effort.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."