XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

Brent L. Bates blbates at vigyan.com
Thu Mar 16 16:46:10 UTC 2006

     This may not help, but while trying to figure out why dhcpd wasn't
working on one of our systems, I noticed similar behavior.  The dhcpd server
would see the DISCOVER's and send out OFFER's, but the PC would never see
them.
     For us, the problem was that the PC was expecting the offer to be
broadcast via 255.255.255.255 and the server was doing server_subnet.255.  I
was using tcpdump to check what the network traffic was doing.  I gave up
trying to get it to work on that system (SGI IRIX 6.5.22, `raw send' doesn't
compile clean) and moved to another platform (SL 3.0.5).
     I hope that helps some.