Multiple leases

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 06:41:42 UTC 2006

Eustace, Glen wrote:

>  > If the lease is ACTIVE (which it should be the second time because
>>  there's only 9 minutes inbetween these two and you gave it a 1-hour
>>  lease) both servers should choose that lease to offer.
>
>This is a bit of a mystery, I have explicitly set the default-lease-time
>to 86400, I can not see where the 1 hour is coming from.

min-lease-time ?
MCLT ?

>  > If the lease is FREE or BACKUP (does the client release its lease?),
>>  then the behaviour is more reasonable - both servers must answer, and
>>  they can only offer leases in one of those two states.
>
>I would guess that they don't as there a very few RELEASE messages in
>the logs, it would appear that MacOS X doesn't do a release when a NIC
>is shutdown.

I can't say what happens when you shutdown an interface, or put a
machine to sleep (and I don't have enough working Macs to hand to
test it). I do know that when you shut down the OS it releases it's
lease - it would be logical to handle other ifdown events the same
way.

Simon