host statement scope rules (ISC DHCP 3.0.5b1)

Phil Pennock isc-dhcp-server at phil.globnix.org
Sun Jul 30 01:10:07 UTC 2006

On 2006-07-30 at 02:04 +0200, Sten Carlsen wrote:
> I think there was just now a thread which made a big point out of
> stating that there is absolutely no difference where in the file you put
> host statements.

Ted Lemon pointed out that there is a difference and described it; the
difference is exactly the point which I raised in the first place,
starting the thread.

I trust the author of dhcpd to be correct.  ;^)

> I seem to be a little confused; what is correct? Does it or does it not
> matter where in the file you put the host statement?

It does matter, but not in the way which most people think.

Matching a host declaration is not dependent upon where the host
declaration is and later host declarations overwrite earlier ones.

If a shared network or subnet sets particular options, such as DHCP
servers or lease-times, then those are inherited based upon syntax --
ie, where in the config file the host declaration is.
--
VISTA: Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans & Adware