Problem upgrading to 9.18 - important feature being removed

G.W. Haywood bind at jubileegroup.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 18:16:23 UTC 2024

Hi there,

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024, Petr ?pa?ek wrote:
> On 01. 03. 24 12:23, G.W. Haywood wrote:
>>
>> ... Maybe the lesson here is that if you're using BIND other than
>> because it happened to come with your distro, then it's probably a
>> good idea to keep an eye on this list to monitor the plans for
>> development.? If it says that in the ARM, which IMO it probably
>> should, I missed that too.
>
> ARM has warning like this:
>
> https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/v9.18.15/reference.html#namedconf-statement-auto-dnssec
>
> If you have a proposal to improve it I'm all ears.

That warning is (a) specific to this issue and (b) in section 8.

I was thinking of something (a) more general and (b) in section 1 -
where people might see it before the attention span gives out. :)

Section 1.4.6 seems the obvious existing place to say something like

"The BIND users' mailing list is the place for users to get help with
BIND.  In addition the developers use it to gauge opinion on proposals
for changes to BIND's features.  If you use BIND more than casually,
it's a good idea to subscribe to the list.  You can do this by..."

--

73,
Ged.