Problem upgrading to 9.18 - important feature being removed

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Fri Mar 1 17:06:31 UTC 2024

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> I wanted to address this comment. We (the developers) don't remove the
> features out of convenience or because we have 'better idea'.

It's a known problem with humans that the discipline to remove items is
oftentimes lacking, and that humans will tend to solve problems or
"improve" things by implementing additive rather than subtractive
measures.

It's enough of a mental schism to consider adding and removing items as
equivalent to different processes IMO.

> maintainable software can't look like Katamari[1].

With the former insight, this remark may look a little different than it
otherwise would. ;-)

Removing unused things is an honorable and admirable objective: keep up
the good work. You come onto this mailing list and tell us about it,
typically well in advance. I'm generally in favor of removing unused
features; emphasis is of course on "unused".

--

Fred Morris, internet plumber