Question about authoritative server and AA Authoritative Answer

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jan 16 08:50:08 UTC 2024

> On 16 Jan 2024, at 02:32, pub.diemer29 at laposte.net wrote:
>

> Dear Mark,
>
> I am sorry but I don'y understand you reply.
>

> RFC 1034, § 6.2.2 the AA bit is set.
> I have a non-recursive authoritative server and the AA bit is not set. My example is similar to RFC 1034. Why, on the RFC the AA bit is set but not on my example ?

Because you were not querying the authoritative server, you where querying the recursive server in the screen shots.  When you queried the authoritative server (see dns-authoritative-question.md) you got AA in the response.

The answers from the recursive server:

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

vs the answers from the authoritative server:

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

> On my screenshots, where do you see negative answers ?

The ones where the answer count was zero (look for "ANSWER: 0,”).