KASP: sharing policy and keys between views

Carsten Strotmann carsten at strotmann.de
Fri Mar 17 10:46:41 UTC 2023

Hi,

(please do not start a discussion on the usefulness of views. I'm not in favor of views, but sometimes I have to work with them).

I have a client that runs a split horizon (internal / external view of the same domain namespace) setup with BIND 9 on Linux.

Both the internal and external views of the domain are DNSSEC signed.

In the past, the setup was using "auto-dnssec maintain;" on a common, shared key directory with manually created keys. Both zones in both views fetched the keys and did the signing. This setup was stable and working fine.

Because "auto-dnssec maintain;" is deprecated, we're evaluating to change the setup to use a shared DNSSEC KASP definition, pointing to the same key directory (using shared keys and a shared state file).

The test setup runs without issues for one month now and has successfully done 3 ZSK rollovers in the time (KSK rollovers are manual). So it *seems* like a working configuration. We have not seen errors or race-conditions (but we might have been lucky).

Does anyone here has experience with a similar setup, or deeper insight into the code and can tell me if this is a possible solution to operate a DNSSEC signed split horizon setup?

Greetings

Carsten Strotmann