AW: Correlation between NOTIFY-Source and AXFR-Source

Klaus Darilion klaus.darilion at nic.at
Thu Mar 9 20:25:57 UTC 2023

It depends. If one of the primaries is faster then the other in updating its version of the zone, named as secondary would have the update faster if it talks to fastest primary first. So there can be a benefit. Also if a primary is not reachable, for example maintenance and network issues, then named would not have to wait for timeouts before asking other primaries. So I see benefits.

On the other hand, we do not have a problem with the current behavior.

Thanks for the clarifications
Klaus

PS: Latest PowerDNS tries the NOTIFY source first. MAybe someone knows how Knot and NSD behave?