Best way to handle multiple retries from BIND?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 26 01:47:44 UTC 2023

> On 26 Jun 2023, at 11:05, Fred Morris <m3047 at m3047.net> wrote:
>
> I have an authoritative server which performs a resource intensive operation to determine an answer; sometimes it takes long enough that BIND asks again (and again!). Firing off multiple attempts to determine the answer just digs the hole deeper.

Well what do you expect when the server doesn’t answer?  Silence means nothing.  Packet loss is a thing.

> What's the best approach, assuming the same client asks repeatedly:
>     • Discard later queries, answer the first one?
>     • Discard earlier queries, answer the last one?
>     • Send same the response (when we get it) in response to all queries (I don't like this one)?

If you have a true duplicate you only need to answer it once otherwise you have different clients and you need to answer all of them.  Note there can be multiple clients on the same address.

> And does anyone know can the recommended mitigation be presumed to be the best option regardless of the recursive server (BIND, Unbound, etc.)?

Fix whatever is causing the server to take a long time to respond.  DNS isn’t designed with servers that take a lot of time to respond in mind.  Resolution takes long enough without spurious delays.  Clients give up in a couple of seconds and the resolver often needs to make 20+ queries to validate a answer.  The time budget per query is small and the planet has about a 200ms RTT.