Best way to handle multiple retries from BIND?

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Mon Jun 26 01:05:20 UTC 2023

I have an authoritative server which performs a resource intensive
operation to determine an answer; sometimes it takes long enough that
BIND asks again (and again!). Firing off multiple attempts to determine
the answer just digs the hole deeper.

What's the best approach, assuming the same client asks repeatedly:

  * Discard later queries, answer the first one?
  * Discard earlier queries, answer the last one?
  * Send same the response (when we get it) in response to all queries
    (I don't like this one)?

And does anyone know can the recommended mitigation be presumed to be
the best option regardless of the recursive server (BIND, Unbound, etc.)?

Thanks in advance...

--

Fred Morris