BIND to a DoT forwarder

Eli Sowash eli at sowash.net
Wed Jun 14 12:15:56 UTC 2023

Greetings all... I'm puzzling my way through a DNS over TLS connection. I
am configuring a forwarder to OpenDNS via DoT.

I am running BIND 9.18.15-1+ubuntu22.04.1+isc+1-Ubuntu, and trying to
follow the documentation for a TLS block. In named.conf, I have:

tls OpenDNS-DoT {
        ca-file "/etc/ssl/certs/IdenTrust_Commercial_Root_CA_1.pem";
        remote-hostname "dns.opendns.com";
};

options {
        forwarders port 853 tls OpenDNS-DoT {
                // OpenDNS public
                208.67.222.222;
                208.67.220.220;
         };
};

but the service fails with a fatal error, '{' expected near 'tls' in the
options block. I'm interpreting that named is not expecting to find 'tls'
in a forwarder statement. Am I using the tls block correctly with a
forwarder?