Issue: Name huawei.com (SOA) not subdomain of zone cloud.huawei.com -- invalid response

Jakob Bohm jb-bindusers at wisemo.com
Fri Jul 7 09:57:13 UTC 2023

On 2023-06-02 05:02, Jesus Cea wrote:
> On 2/6/23 4:25, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> Yep, some people just don’t take care with delegations.  Complain to
>> Huawei.
>> Complain to the other companies you list in your followup email.
>>
>> All it takes to fix this is to change the name of the zone on the
>> child servers
>> (ns3.dnsv5.com, gns1.huaweicloud-dns.org and ns4.dnsv5.com) from
>> “huawei.com”
>> to “cloud.huawei.com” and perhaps adjust the NS and SOA records for
>> the zone
>> if they are fully qualified.  If there are other delegations from
>> huawei.com
>> for other sub zones to these servers they will also need to be
>> instantiated.
>>
>> It’s maybe 10 minute work for each subdomain to fix.  It just
>> requires someone
>> to do the work.
>
> I sympathize. Expertise and caring for the job is something the world
> is losing fast and few people care at all. Complaining to business is
> not going to work, because this misconfiguration works fine for 99.9%
> of their users, clients of more "lax" DNS resolvers.
>
> What I get from your reply is that BIND is not expected to do anything
> about this. It is a bit disappointed but I agree that BIND is doing
> the right thing. Too bad big players don't care. But I need to "solve"
> this, so dropping BIND (nooo!) or patching software is on my table now.
>
>> When people come to you and say that it works with Google, et al.
>> point them at
>> https://dnsviz.net/d/cloud.huawei.com/dnssec/ which reports this
>> error and say
>> “Here is a DNS configuration testing site and it reports the zone as
>> broken, you
>> need to take it up with the company."
>
> "Whatever, Google works and you don't. You sucks!". Few people care
> about doing the right thing if crap works for them. If only 8.8.8.8
> cared and gave back SERVFAIL as it should, everybody would fix her
> configuration immediately. Postel law [*] was a mistake (be strict
> when sending and forgiving when receiving). Nice advice, awful
> consequences we will pay forever.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

The robustness principle isn't the problem here.  It is more that parts
of the
bind code isapparently being strict about receiving out-of-range values
in an
informational part ofDNS responses, then turning a mostly usable reply from
remote servers into a SERVFAIL of binds own making, rather than just
filtering
out that informational part if bind considers it worth checking at all.

Enjoy

Jakob