Resolving and caching illegal names

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Jan 25 19:00:36 UTC 2023

I hadn't had enough coffee when I wrote that. I was doing in-addr.arpa
translation in my head and confusing what was the TLD of the query being
submitted. If a customer is stupid enough to ask for an A-record for
10.1.2.3, then the TLD of that name is "3", not "10" . . duh.

So to make the RPZ work, I needed to stuff the zone file with 256 new
entries. I did this by dusting off my knowledge of the GENERATE
directive (which involved RTFM):

    $GENERATE 0-255 *.$     CNAME   .

I also needed to populate the "validate-except" option with 256 new
entries. I could find no elegant way to generate, abstract, or 'include'
this, so just needed to put the long string of characters inline:

    0; 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12; . . .

and it now behaves as desired; returning an unvalidated NXDOMAIN for
queries for ip addresses.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration