Resolving and caching illegal names

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Jan 25 17:36:57 UTC 2023

> - Why *must* you forward everything to Akamai?

I am forced to "forward only;" to Akamai for all external queries. It
hasn't always been this way, but the decision was made "above my pay
grade", and it is not open to negotiation.

> - Was that a real example of a daft query: 10.11.12.13 type A?

"10.11.12.13 is, indeed, a query I found in my log.

> what's the issue with returning SERVFAIL?

On my validating "recursive" servers, "SERVFAIL" is the response from
_my_ server. That is the result of Akamai saying "Here's your answer!"
and my server going through the work of trying to validate it (and failing).

On my non-validating "recursive" servers, I send back the answer Akamai
sends me:

> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> 10.11.12.13.            10      IN      A       10.11.12.13

I think SERVFAIL is the correct answer for all of these queries. I do
not want to encourage any customers in thinking they can get an address
back from me by asking for the address of an address.

> - Do Akamai have any knobs you can tweak

{chuckle} I'm not allowed in the control room. And Akamai's response to
my question was quoted in my original message. From their perspective,
this behavior is a feature, not a defect. I don't expect them to let
their customer disable their "features". If I want to change this
behavior, I'm going to have to do it within my sphere of influence.

Off-list, it was suggested to me that I _could_ handle this in my RPZ,
by enumerating all 255 illegal TLDs (e.g. *.10  CNAME . )

I tried this, and it works as expected when dnssec validation is
disabled (either globally, or with "validate-except". My idea right now
is I can enumerate TLD of the numerics I see in my logs, and ignore the
rest. I think this will get me what I want, at a level of complexity I
can accept.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration