[KASP] Key rollover

adrien sipasseuth sipasseuth.adrien at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 08:38:04 UTC 2023

Hello,

I put the management of DNSSEC with KASP, the zone is well functional. (dig
with "AD" flag etc)

On the other hand, I can't see when the key rollover period for my KSK is
over (2 KSKs with a dig DNSKEY...)

Without KASP, it was easy because I generated the second KSK key but with
KASP, it is managed automatically.

So, I have to adapt my scripts to check that there is :
 - a used KSK key and a next KSK key
 - Or only one KSK key used (if we are not in rollover phase)

Except that with my current policy, I never see 2 KSKs via a "dig
DNSKEY...".
here is my policy :

dnssec-policy "test" {
    keys {
        ksk lifetime P7D algorithm ecdsa256;
        zsk lifetime P3D algorithm ecdsa256;
    };
    purge-keys 1d;
    publish-safety 3d;
    retire-safety 3d;
};

I see either my KSK in use or my next KSK (via "dig DNSKEY...") but never
both at the same time.

Is this a normal behavior or am I doing it wrong?

Regards, Adrien