limit the number of invalid domain queries

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Feb 22 03:34:12 UTC 2023

It sounds like you are subject of a DoS attack or are being used in a DoS attack against someone else.  Often the IP addresses are forged.  In other cases they come from recursive servers that are also being abused.

You can configure response rate limiting.
https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/v9_16_9/reference.html?highlight=Response%20rate%20limiting#response-rate-limiting

You can also sign the zone using NSEC which will allow recursive servers that support DNSSEC synthesis to return responses for names that don’t exist without contacting your server as often.  They need to contact you enough to build up the NSEC chain to be able to synthesis the NXDOMAIN response.