Is there an incompatibility between 9.16.37/9.18.11 and 9.9 when doing HMAC-MD5 AXFR?

Greg Choules gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:22:03 UTC 2023

Hi Patrik. 9.9? Classic! :D
I don't believe there should be any incompatibilities. Are you perhaps
falling foul of this? From Cricket's book, chapter 11

It’s important that the name of the key—not just the binary data the key
points to— be identical on both ends of the transaction. If it’s not, the
recipient tries to verify the TSIG record and finds it doesn’t know the key
that the TSIG record says was used to compute the hash value. That causes
errors such as the following:

Jan 4 16:05:35 wormhole named[86705]: client 192.249.249.1#4666: request
has invalid signature: TSIG tsig-key.movie.edu: tsig verify failure
(BADKEY)

I'd take packet captures of both cases and compare them, see what the
differences are.
Hope that helps.
Greg