Fwd: sub-subdomian not being resolved NXDOMAIN.

Michał Półrolniczak michal.polrolniczak at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 01:32:33 UTC 2023

Thanks for fast replay.
Yes ancient, because server is also ancient - yet it should work.
I was able to pin point the issue.
Looks like I was editing zone file, saving it, cat-ing it and it was fine,
until it was "recovered" from journal file and overwrited by it each time,
later bind was not loading file because of out-of-sync issue. After I clean
up journal file, and redo zone file, both *.is.also.my.domain.my and other
started to work.

Thank you for infomation what should I include next time when I will have
issue with bind9.

niedz., 3 gru 2023 o 02:21 Crist Clark <cjc+bind-users at pumpky.net>
napisał(a):

> Ancient BIND version, but won’t mention it beyond that. Others are going
> to.
>
> This should work fine. Having multiple levels of labels in the zone
> shouldn’t be a problem. But you’re not providing enough detail to
> troubleshoot. You’re going to have to show the config and zone files to
> really get any help. And just just providing snippets of the files might
> not show where the problem is. You also should provide the “dig” output and
> the precise errors you get back (e.g. the SOA record returned in the
> NXDOMAIN response might provide clues).
>

> On Sat, Dec 2, 2023 at 4:47 PM Michał Półrolniczak <
> michal.polrolniczak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Bind Community,
>>
>> Im trying to resolve sub-subdomain without making each level as separate
>> zone file.
>>
>> I have domain.my (name of domain changed) in main zone (the host I serve
>> it from is ns.domain.my) - this works fine, I delegated sub domain
>> my.domain.my by adding:
>>
>> my.domain.my IN NS ns.domain.my; I added this zone to config file and
>> created zone file for it. - this also works fine
>>
>> I can without any issues add subdomain to my.domain.my in my.domain.my
>> zone file.
>>
>> I would like to resolve sub-subdomain like: this.is.also.my.domain.my
>> from same my.domain.my zone file.
>> from my understanding I could add wildcard: "*.is.also.my.domain.my. IN
>> A ip.addr" record (and handle it later on server), or by adding "
>> this.is.also.my.domain.my. IN A ip.add" record.
>> Both don't work sadly.
>>
>> I also tested "is.also.my.domain.my. A ip.address" which also dont work
>> - so it looks like im missing something.
>>
>> Was this feature disable/removed from bind9 or I forgot to set something
>> in my config file?
>>
>> I'm using bind9 9.11.5
>> --
>> information.