Question about dnstap

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Mon Sep 12 10:27:25 UTC 2022

Hi,

I am not sure this is intended behavior, or maybe I should file a bug.

I am doing some tests with dnstap and bind (9.18.6 now but I see the same behavior with older 9.18 versions). I am using
dnstap-go.

I have configured bind to use dnstap with no other options and using a Unix domain socket. (On named.conf, dnstap {all;};).

If I start named but the dnstap collector is not running it will never try to connect. I need to start the dnstap program
_before_ starting named.

From the named.conf documentation I assumed that bind would retry the dnstap connection periodically. (fstrm-reopen-interval).

Is that correct or I am making a wrong assumption? I think at least it would be desirable to have bind reconnect in case the dnstap
collector was restarted for whatever reason.

Versions:

bind 9.18.6
fstrm-0.6.1
protobuf-3.20.1,1