FORMERR responses after upgrading resolver from 9.16 to 9.18.8

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Fri Oct 21 14:53:16 UTC 2022

Anand,

there are two layers- Google certainly doesn’t do anything wrong, but they would do a world a favor if there was a stronger push towards compliance with DNS protocol.

On the authoritative side - it’s certainly true that neither DNS Cookies nor NSID is mandatory, but the part that is mandatory (**MUST**) is correct handling of the unknown EDNS0 option.

It’s kind of chicken-egg problem - resolver operators won’t enable DNS Cookies because there are some broken domains and the broken domains won’t fix it because it works with “big tech”. And the security suffers and everybody loses in the end.

Somebody needs to make the first step, so we did it. It’s documented in the troubleshooting section, it can be disabled, and if anybody feels there could be more or better documentation, we do accept external Merge Requests, and we do appreciate improvements to the documentation as well as to the code. The documentation is equally important as correct code, and we are not operator ourselves, so we might miss few things.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý — ISC (He/Him)

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.