Unable to start Bind on a fresh RHEL 8.6 system with enforcing SELinux

Sandro lists at penguinpee.nl
Fri Jun 10 15:07:19 UTC 2022

On 10-06-2022 16:02, Reindl Harald wrote:
> come on!
>
> the OP clearly stated the only problem is the "PIDFile" line in the
> systemd-unit and so what named writes or not is completly irrelevant
>
> "PIDFile" for systemd has nothing to do with "pid-file" of named

:facepalm:

Indeed. I was led down the garden path. The PIDFile setting in the unit
file can be totally different from the pid-file option in bind.
Although, they should probably point to the same file.

Yet, the man page for systemd.service (5) states:

Usage of this option [PIDFile] is recommended for services where Type=
is set to forking.

So, it was probably just a simple misconfiguration and systemd applying
some of its "magic" to a non-existent file...

Anyway, in my case the PIDFile option is set, be it useful or not, and
SELinux is running in enforcing mode all without any issues.

-- Sandro