Unable to start Bind on a fresh RHEL 8.6 system with enforcing SELinux

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 10 14:02:12 UTC 2022

Am 10.06.22 um 15:56 schrieb Sandro:
> On 10-06-2022 15:27, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> That's a personal choice, but probably not the answer to the OPs
>>> question. The shipped unit file for named on Fedora (and by extension
>>> RHEL) makes use of PID files. I presume to cater for cases where rndc is
>>> not being used.
>> you missed my point - this "ExecReload" proves that the PIDFile is
>> useless
>>
>>   > The shipped unit file for named on
>>   > Fedora (and by extension RHEL) makes
>>   > use of PID files
>>
>> but why in the world for a service with only a single process?
>
> I'm not saying you are wrong. But since 'pid-file' option has a default
> setting if not defined otherwise in options {}, named will try to write it

come on!

the OP clearly stated the only problem is the "PIDFile" line in the
systemd-unit and so what named writes or not is completly irrelevant

"PIDFile" for systemd has nothing to do with "pid-file" of named

below the entry post:

If I remove PIDFile in the systemd unit it just works fine..

[Service]
Type=forking
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/opt/isc/scls/isc-bind/sysconfig/named
#PIDFile=/var/opt/isc/scls/isc-bind/run/named/named.pid
ExecStart=/opt/isc/isc-bind/root/usr/sbin/named -u named $OPTIONS
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
ExecStop=/bin/kill -TERM $MAINPID
PrivateTmp=true