How to make SRV records work with caching resolvers?

Peter pmc at citylink.dinoex.sub.org
Mon Jul 25 20:50:57 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 06:22:47PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
! Could you for the purpose of the debugging share the DNS traffic between the phone device and the resolver?
!
! I think stepping back a little might help debug the issue. Perhaps people on the list might notice something that might help.
!
! Ondrej

Hi Ondrej,

thanks for Your reply. I tried to obtain something reproducible, but
with no luck. These failures are a bit difficult to catch, they happen
mostly deep at night, for whatever reason. (And in any case a reset of
the phone does fix the issue.) Once I tried to analyze the failure and
noticed the partial information in the additional section, as
described - so I thought I had identified the issue (and should
occasionally learn how this should actually work - as I did now).

Now when I log the entire DNS traffic, I don't see the same pattern
appearing again. (Obviousely there can be many other reasons for a
temporary outage.)
The plan is now to put this on hold until it appears at annoying daytimes
again, and ideally obtain a kind of VoIP-proxy or PBX to put in between.

-- PMc