bind v9_18_x compile

Michał Kępień michal at isc.org
Mon Jul 4 08:56:24 UTC 2022

> Why command "autoreconf -fi" can only execute in git path?

I assume you are referring to the hardcoded use of "git rev-parse" that
causes error messages to be printed out if you run "autoreconf -fi" from
outside of a Git repository (e.g. from a release tarball).

Note that this does NOT cause the build to fail.  The binaries built
using Autoconf files prepared that way will just have the "srcid" string
set to an empty value:

    $ bin/named/named -v
    BIND 9.18.4 (Stable Release) <id:>

(If you really need this to work, I guess you could tweak the value of
the PACKAGE_SRCID preprocessor macro in the "configure" file generated
by "autoreconf -fi" run from outside a Git repository.)

This changed with the move to Automake in BIND 9.17.  Context is here:

    https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/commit/ed212e9c632fe4bc647f12398aadacd8dcf59f15

TL;DR: what we did in the first Automake-based build system was
confusing and not perfect, so we replaced it with something that is less
confusing, yet still not perfect.

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień