Unable to start Bind on a fresh RHEL 8.6 system with enforcing SELinux

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 10:50:38 UTC 2022

On 6/10/22 12:53, Reindl Harald wrote:
> PIDFile shouldn't be needed at all - esepcially for threaded services
> it's useless, systemd knows the PID anyways
>
> if that option is used in the provided systemd-unit one should ask the
> guy who have written it: why?
>
> if it would be useful my "ExecReload=/usr/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID"
> won't work for nearly 10 years without "PIDFile" (no i won't use and
> configure rndc - keep it simple)

PIDFile is required on type=forking services. And type=forking services
is required to report success or failure during systemctl start named.
Your custom workflow may not need it, but it is still useful and there
is a reason why it is still used.

rndc is quite a cool thing. running your named without it prevents
several great debugging checks. YMMV.

Petr