what is wrong with DNS name 'covid19booster.healthservice.ie' ? : Google : what is Google's secret DNS service ?

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Sat Jan 8 18:35:08 UTC 2022

Wow.

1) You're using BIND as a caching nameserver.

So you say. Does the nameserver do its own upstream (authoritative)
lookups? If yes, then the term of art is "recursive / caching"; otherwise
the term is "forwarding".

Looks like you're configuring your ISP's nameservers as forwarders.
Therefore the proper term is "forwarding".

2) Your ISP's nameservers fail to resolve $FQDN.

These are other people's caching nameservers.

3) Google's nameservers resolve $FQDN.

These are other people's caching nameservers.

4) Looks like the nameservers for healthservice.ie belong to
topsectechnology.net.

5) Looks like those nameservers resolve $FQDN.

At least that's what dig +trace tells me.

Can't you do the auth lookups directly? Have you tried?

So your logic in coming here is that:

a) $A's caching nameservers don't resolve $FQDN.

b) $B's caching nameservers do resolve $FQDN.

c) You use BIND to connect to one of those entities' caching nameservers
instead of running your own.

d) Therefore, the BIND mailing list is were I should direct my ire.

Did I miss anything?

Any response you get here is going to involve changing your BIND server's
configuration and behavior, probably to convert it from forwarding to
caching... although grizzled veterans may tell you horror stories about
hotels and other public wifi.

--

Fred Morris