Is there a community product maintaining Windows support?

Chuck Aurora ca at nodns4.us
Sun Feb 20 22:23:15 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-11 10:24, Jakob Bohm via bind-users wrote:
> As ISC has apparently announced that it will no longer maintain the
> code for running bind on Windows operating systems, and that this is
> now up to the community, is there a community group that has stepped
> up to the task?

I haven't seen anybody mention this (sorry if I missed a comment),
but what is the need?  At least on Windows 10+ you can easily run a
native Linux BIND in Microsoft's WSL/WSL2 subsystem.

I bought a Windows computer some months back, being sure I would
immediately install Linux on it.  Well, I did in a way: wsl.exe is
real Linux and mostly works well.  I was doing my first "dig" that
first day.

That said WSL does have some DNS bugs, but nothing you can't work
around.  I do network troubleshooting for a living, and it's nice
having a complete GNU environment at hand.

WSL has made Windows adequate for me.  I might keep it!